So, yes, this is a blog about budget fashion. And yes, I'm totally open about the fact that I'm not that great of a cook. BUT I wanted to spice things up a bit this week and post one of my fave recipes for a very cheap, super easy and semi-healthy meal--vegetarian chili. I got this chili recipe from my friend Samantha, who's a goddess in the kitchen and was able to convince me that even I couldn't mess this one up. Also, for the record, I've never been a big chili person...until I tried this recipe!
Samantha's Famous Chili
1 packet Ortega Chili Mix
1 16 oz jar of salsa (mild)
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 teaspoon garlic
2 peppers (different colors help make the chili pop!)
1 package of grated cheddar cheese
1. Chop the peppers & onions into small cubes.
2. Put all above ingredients (except cheese) in large pot on medium to low heat.
3. After you have added the packet of Ortega Chili Mix, fill the empty packet with water and add it to the pot. But be careful not to add too much water, as the salsa will melt and liquefy.
4. Let cook covered & stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes.
5. Taste (but be careful, it's HOT).
6. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top.
7. Serve & enjoy! (Sam recommends serving it with a side of garlic bread or tortilla chips.)
Also, for the record, I adjusted Samantha's recipe to be vegetarian, but if you want to add meat, you can toss in 1 lb. of cooked lean ground beef! Happy cooking. :)